Friday, February 15, 2013

Healthy, Earth Friendly Homemade Cleaning Supplies

My latest preoccupation is homemade cleaning supplies. I'm not sure the exact reason behind it...sometimes I like to think it is more healthy or more green or maybe cheaper but really I think the reason lies in my love of creating my own things. I love making my own bread, cheese, soap or just about anything that is crafty that I can use. So, today I made homemade laundry soap from a recipe from the Come Clean Booklet from www.fullcirclehome.com The recipe is 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup castille soap. First I mixed the soap with the sodas really well, then I SLOWLY added the vinegar while mixing well. I continued mixing well until the mixture went from soup to dry powder. It was almost like being in a chemistry lab. The mixture warmed up and it eventually turned into somewhat clumpy dryish laundry soap. It is recommended that 1/2 cup be used per load, but since I have an HE machine, I'm going to start with 1/4 cup. I also have a great generally cleaning spray for plastic surfaces (like high chair trays, plastic table cloths etc).
For the bathroom I'm using a lemon-vinegar-tea tree oil mixture. So far I like the cleaners so much better than the commercial  options. They do the job much better than store bought and I can modify them anytime I want. Now I just need to get cleaning, and well that is whole different issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment