Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Zen List

After the New Year it always seems time for housekeeping, whether it be literal or not. It might be time for reflection over eating and spending choices over the last three weeks or just reflection in general. Recently I read a list out of Mother Earth Living titled Be Happier at Home (not that I’m not happy at home), but I think the list is thoughtful and needed to be shared. 1. Get Enough Sleep – Gain energy and feel calm by going to bed early enough for a full night’s sleep. 2. Embrace Good Smells – No cost, no calories, no energy, no time – a quick hit of pleasure. 3. Accept Yourself – Don’t waste time wishing you were different. 4. Give Warm Greetings and Farewells – what a thought? I’ll have to try it. And the last one, 5. Remember this Truth – The only person you can change is yourself. Avoid power struggles at home by realizing you can work on your own outlook, but you cannot change others. I think this last one hit home. I need to look above the field of lavender and smell it, enjoy it and stop worrying about the unkindnesses of my in-laws to our family.  I have added this to my zen list which includes things like ‘take vitamins and floss’ and ‘arrange for help when it gets too hard’ (aargh…wish I had done this sooner with the business taxes). 

No comments:

Post a Comment